I encountered several problems along the way:
- Some issues with the XML, I am new to XML so I didn't realize that you can't have spaces in attribute names and can't have certain symbols like < or > outside of a string. For some reason the <> where coming from the node.location part because they were vectors. So I had to convert all of them to tuples. The names just have to be changed from Material Name to Material_Name
- I was collecting node.type for each node and was then having to change that type into a string that could be used to create the node which gave several challenges because it could be done in several ways. I figured out though, that you can just get the node.bl_idname. Which allows you to use that string directly to create the new node on importation.