Friday, March 25, 2016

CubeSter Version 0.4 is out!

CubeSter version 0.4 is out and now image sequences can be imported and used to animate the mesh height and color over time.


Monday, March 21, 2016

CubeSter version 0.3 has been released!

CubeSter version 0.3 has been released!
New things include being able to color the mesh using and image instead of just vertex colors. Also, if using an image, then you can use an image to generate the mesh and another to create the material. All nodes are created, they are just not all linked up, so custom node setups can be done easily.

The newest version can be gotten here, and specific details, examples, and other info can be found here.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

CubeSter version 0.2 is out!

CubeSter version 0.2 is out and now objects can be created that are composed either of multiple blocks, or of a single plane, like in the image below.


The newest version can be downloaded from here.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

CubeSter version 0.1.1 is out!

CubeSter version 0.1.1 has been released with the ability to individually weight how the RGBA channels affect the block height. An issue with generating meshes with Blender Internal selected was also fixed. The version can be gotten here.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

CubeSter: Version 0.1 Released!

CubeSter version 0.1 was just released! CubeSter takes an image and converts it into a height-based object made up of individual blocks representing the pixels of the image. For more information and the download link go to Released Scripts & Themes > CubeSter or click here.

Original Image:


Generated mesh.


Saturday, March 12, 2016

Image To Cubes

Today I wrote a simple script that converts an image to a mesh composed of cubes whose heights denote the intensity of the pixel at that location, like this example:


Several years ago a similar program was written called Cubify. It was pretty slow when it came to images over the size about about 64x64, so I wanted to make a version that would be faster. My version took 1.04 seconds on an 128x128 image. I didn't allow Cubify to finish, but based on time estimates it would have taken 27 minutes which is almost 1,600 times longer. I am going to make finishing touches and will release a version within the next couple days.